Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Taping and mudding......so messy.



So, taping and mudding is not so easy. While Richard was off at work in Michigan I went and got the supplies and started to get at it. I have watched our sheetrock finishers do this a 100 times for sure. Surely I could do it too. Well, I found out that I definitely can do it, BUT it is not as easy as it looked. I got some done and when Richard got home he said I had done a very good job.....but let me tell you...IT WAS TOUGH to get it right. Richard did most of the taping from that point on and I assisted some here and there. I did a bunch in the bathroom and then went back to assisting now and then. He finally finished all the taping as of today and everything has a good coat of mud. Now for sanding, more mud, and sanding some more. Sanding will be something new for me to try. Once again, I've seen it done a lot, but this will be my first time to do it myself. Till I update you again...Love thy Earth!



4 comments:

  1. I would rather take a beating than to tape and bed. It is the only part of building I do not like. I guess it is because I have to wait for the mud to dry and for me that is like waiting for water boil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna- When you sand, resist the temptation to take too much material off. We did it ourselves, and a number of the joints are fairly evident in 'long' sunlight. You won't achieve perfection with sandpaper- use a damp rag toward the end.

    The only thing worse than waiting for the mud to dry is.... sanding. I built our home in NH and thankful I'll never have to do sheetrock again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave...it will be my first time doing it, but my husband has been a home builder on his own now for 30 years and before that was working after school doing it for his father. Trust me when I say, he'll keep me straight, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna

    I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award. I really enjoy your blog and want to share it with those that follow me. You can read it here:

    http://ecofootprintsa.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger.html

    Dani :)

    ReplyDelete